Secret Subject Swap - Social Media



Welcome to August's Secret Subject Swap. Again 11 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  

Sit back, grab a highball glass and check them all out:




Baking In A Tornado
Cognitive Script
The Blogging 911 
The Lieber Family
The Bergham Chronicles
Simply Shannon
Southern Belle Charm
Bookworm in the Kitchen
Part-Time Working Hockey Mom
Not that Sarah Michelle
Climaxed



                                                               



My subject is 
             
How much time in a given week do you spend on social media? Do you wish you had more time to interact online? Think maybe you should spend less time?


It was submitted by Baking In A Tornado thank you, Karen! We met via Social Media, so that's fitting ;-) 

Actually, we met through her husband, read the full story here.

So how much time do I spend on Social Media? Good question! Of course my immediate answer is "too much", because clearly it's a time trap, and if I don't pay attention on a non-office day, I might still be in my PJs at 11am with no plan (and no groceries) for lunch. 





When I have to get sh** done I sometimes start the forest app. It blocks your phone for an amount of time during which you plant a virtual tree.




Still, sometimes I wish I had more time to connect with some of the great people I met on Social Media, who have become close friends. Living in Europe, even if it's (my) middle of the night, there is always someone awake between the West Coast and Australia. 

I have found so many great ideas for recipes and crafts on Pinterest, and I re-connected with former coworkers on LinkedIn. Also as a blogger it's part of my job to hang out on Facebook, don't you think?

Finally, I also think I should spend less screen time and get more done in real life, like meeting real life friends, visiting my Grandma, filling my out of control document pile, doing workouts, ... 

So my concluding answer is "all of the above"!

I feel Social Media is the new TV. There is always something on, and we may use it to watch or research useful stuff, or we can just use it as background noise, scroll through countless cute puppies videos or play mindless games to kill time, it's up to us. 

Certain apps take it too far for my taste. I track my food intake on lose it, no need to send me e-mail and ask me to connect with fellow weight loss workers. Also don't suggest I be friends with a friend of a friend's cousin. Are you for real? Finally it's pretty discouraging to tell me my pins have been repinned and then I find out they were other people's.

As I am lucky enough to exclusively have nice friends among my circle, Social Media really is social to me, otherwise that would be a reason to use those platforms more cautiously. 

What social media do I like, and how can we connect?





  1. Read and comment on my blog posts. I'm serious, I love hearing from you!
  2. Using the little button in the left upper corner, subscribe to my blog, 
  3. Like my Facebook page, like and comment on my posts so they get seen by more people.
  4. Play along for a Top Ten Thursday. Consult events, prompts are being announced at least two weeks in advance!
  5. Follow me on Pinterest, repin posts that you like.
  6. Be my friend on Google+ find and share posts.
  7. Add me to your Blogloving list.
  8. Follow me on Instagram and heart my pictures.
  9. Give me some steem on steemit - I'm new there!
  10. You may also follow me on Twitter, except that I am not doing anything there. I just can't see the fun in it??!
How about you? Are you a fellow Social Media junkie? Which platform is your favourite? Leave me your comment down below and please go and check out the other blogger's posts!

Happy weekend!


PS: Here's an article on how to quit (insert your most time-consuming social medium) and address your real issues. Hmmmm....

Comments